Urgent Dental Care: Finding The Right Dentist For Your Dental Emergency
Our dental practice receives thousands of calls regarding emergency dental care each year. Sometimes, patients need care immediately, so they urgently need reliable dentists.
But how can you find the right dentist when an emergency happens?
Keep reading as we explore what an emergency dentist is, how to know when it’s an emergency, and how to find your ideal emergency dentist. This information on emergency dental in Maroubra could be a tooth-saver one day!
What Is An Emergency Dentist?
An emergency dentist is a dentist you can access help from immediately. If you have a dental emergency that could lead to permanent long-term issues if left untreated, you can’t wait for an appointment.
Most dentists have the option of emergency care, allowing you to skip the appointment and visit your dentist immediately. However, to access emergency dental care, you must have a serious problem with your oral health.
If the issue is extreme, your dentist may also recommend that you visit the hospital instead for more intensive treatment.
What Is A Dental Emergency?
What counts as a dental emergency differs on a case-by-case basis. To help you understand whether your issue is an ‘emergency’ or not, here are some examples of dental emergencies:
- Facial swelling – if your face swells, especially to the extent that your breathing or vision is affected, this can be a dental emergency. You also need emergency dental care if you struggle to open your mouth due to swelling.
- Trauma – if you have sustained any trauma to the face or mouth, resulting in a loss of consciousness or dizziness, you may need emergency dental care from your local Maroubra dentist.
- Bleeding – if you are bleeding profusely from your mouth, and the bleeding is showing no signs of stopping, you need help from your dentist to control the loss of blood and resolve the root cause.
- Pain – if you are experiencing significant pain in your mouth and cannot resume your normal activities, you’ll benefit from an emergency dental appointment. Your dentist can find the root cause of the pain and recommend effective treatment or provide you with a prescription for pain management.
- Tooth dislodgement or missing tooth – if you have sustained an injury and your tooth is missing, dislodged, or cracked, you’ll need emergency dental care to reinsert and potentially save the tooth.
- Lost filling – losing a filling can leave your tooth vulnerable, as the filling serves as a protective barrier. If you lose a filling, it’s best to contact an emergency dentist immediately.
- Something stuck – if you have something stuck in your tooth that is causing you great distress, your dentist can help you in a matter of hours. They have the necessary equipment to dislodge the object and restore your mouth to a pain-free feeling.
If any of the above instances apply, you’ll need to call your local dentist and request an emergency dental appointment. Your dentist might be able to see you within a few hours, depending on the severity of the issue and the urgency of the care needed.
What To Do If You Lose Or Break A Tooth
If you lose or break a tooth and are booking a dental emergency appointment, keeping hold of it is best. If the tooth has been knocked out, you should hold it in the gums, increasing the likelihood of successful replacement.
If your tooth is chipped or you cannot reinsert it, you’ll benefit from placing the tooth in a bag of milk to prevent it from drying out. Bring the tooth with you to your dental appointment so that your dentist can use it.
How To Find The Right Emergency Dentist
If you find yourself with a dental emergency on your hands, then it’s essential to know how to choose the right emergency dentist. See the list below to choose the most suitable emergency dentist.
In a dental emergency, time matters. So, you’ll need to choose an emergency dentist nearby. This way, you won’t need to drive too far to the dentist, and your taxi fare will not be as expensive if you cannot drive – which can add to your stress.
In an emergency, you’re vulnerable to untrustworthy sources of aid. So, it’s important to note all the best-recommended emergency dentists in your area before using one. To gauge your dentist’s reliability, you can check out their reviews, standards of practice, and ratings. If there are many negative reviews, particularly regarding the level of care or emergency appointments, try to avoid this dentist.
Friendly And Welcoming Staff
Many people have a fear of the dentist. In a dental emergency, you need support and care that won’t add to your stress or cause you to become anxious. When you call your dentist to book your emergency appointment, pay close attention to how welcoming and friendly the team is, as this will impact their ability to keep you calm.
If you have an emergency, you need urgent care. So, you should call around at different practices to see who has the nearest spot available. This way, you won’t wait too long and suffer pain or panic for an extended period. Even if your typical Maroubra dental clinic is busy, you can access care elsewhere if you make a few calls.
Dental emergencies happen every day, and knowing what counts as an emergency can help you to access an appointment more easily. To find the best emergency dentist in your area, you should choose based on location, reviews, wait times, and staff attitudes. If you need an emergency dentist in Maroubra, contact our friendly team here at Maroubra Dental Clinic. We offer a high standard of care and can help you to organise an emergency appointment.