Why is saliva important?
Saliva is the best natural defence against decay. The acid from bacteria can be neutralised by saliva. A reduced flow of saliva (dry mouth) can increase your risk of decay. Causes might include:
- Medications that you may be taking that may have a drying effect in the mouth
- Excessive intake of caffeine. Caffeine is found in coffee, tea, chocolate and cola drinks. It draws fluid from the body and reduces saliva.
- Working in a dry environment and not rehydrating often enough
- Some specific diseases or conditions such as Sjogren’s syndrome
- If you have a constant dry mouth, you should consult your dentist to find the cause.