Cosmetic Dentistry – What Can You Do To Improve Your Smile?
As a dentist, I frequently work with dental emergencies and dental correction. However, even if your mouth is healthy, you might not be happy with your smile. Being embarrassed about your smile can hurt your self-esteem.
Luckily, there are several cosmetic dental procedures available to help you achieve a desirable, white, and perfectly-aligned grin! Keep reading to learn about the benefits of cosmetic dentistry and the methods available.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is a term referring to the procedures and processes in dentistry designed to improve the appearance of your teeth.
Typically, dentistry focuses on preserving and restoring teeth through preventative and corrective procedures. However, you needn’t have any issues with your teeth to have a cosmetic procedure performed. If you are displeased with the natural look and feel of your pearly whites, you can have a cosmetic procedure performed.
Why Do People Have Cosmetic Dental Procedures Done?
There can be a few justifications for why people invest in cosmetic dentistry. Some of the main reasons include:
- The length of their teeth is not consistent
- There are gaps in the teeth
- The teeth are discoloured
- The teeth are misshapen
- The teeth are not straight
- There are missing teeth
Many people get cosmetic dental procedures to achieve the clean and bright ‘celebrity smile’ we see on social media and television. These procedures can elevate your look and give you a cleaner and more radiant appearance when you smile.
What Are The Main Cosmetic Dental Options?
There are many cosmetic dental procedures available. Here are just a selection of the most popular cosmetic options:
- Teeth whitening – in this procedure, the teeth are whitened using a teeth whitening gel and UV light. This is a non-invasive procedure designed to get your teeth looking brighter for a relatively low cost.
- Veneers – in this procedure, a shell is applied to the teeth (typically a porcelain shell) to correct any worn, chipped, or misshapen teeth.
- Invisalign – Invisalign is an invisible brace or aligner that you can wear to correct the shape of your teeth. Invisalign is a great choice compared to braces if you do not want the inconvenience of such a permanent dental installation.
- Gingival contouring – if you have a gummy smile, you can adjust the shape of your gums with gingival contouring. Gingival contouring can be lip repositioning or laser gingival sculpting.
- Composite bonding – composite bonding is a bonding applied to the teeth to repair chips, cracks, and imperfections. Your dentist can also use composite bonding to even out the shape of your teeth and correct any teeth that are too small.
- Dental implants – this procedure can help you to repair missing teeth, restoring your smile to look natural.
To receive guidance on which procedure is right for you, you should speak to your dentist.
Cosmetic dentistry can improve your confidence and give your smile a boost. Whether you’re looking for a simple teeth whitening, or need to resolve a more significant issue, you can speak to your Maroubra dentist about your cosmetic dentistry options!